Importance of Sanitization
Pools & spas are extremely vulnerable to illness-causing bacteria or other contaminants introduced into the water by bathers
and spa users. SunGuard Cal-Shock granules are not only easy and convenient to use in the chlorination of swimming
pools, disinfection of drinking water, and for sewage and wastewater applications but can also be used in various other
industrial applications. In solution, this product kills harmful bacteria, aids in algae control, and helps keep the pool clean and
clear. SunGuard Cal-Shock granules also leave beneficial chlorine residual in the water that continually destroys organic
contaminants entering the pool. SunGuard Cal-Shock granules allow bathers to enjoy the benefits of a healthy pool and spa
environment. When used as directed, it provides effective bacterial, fungicidal, and algaecidal control.
In addition to its usage as a chlorinator, sanitizer & disinfectant for pools, SunGuard Cal-Shock can also be used as a sanitizer & disinfectant in a variety of other applications listed below:
- Sewage & Waste Water Applications – Kills microbial organisms in raw and treated sewage
- Sanitizes wells and natural springs by destroying organic contaminants
- Multi-purpose sanitizer & disinfectant for Industrial water treatment uses– controls slime in cooling towers and commercial air conditioning systems, thereby increasing their cooling efficiency.
- Aquaculture – Used as a sanitizer in the aquaculture industry to control the growth of algae & bacteria in fish, sanitize fish tanks, and to control the growth of slime during the filleting and packaging processes.
- Poultry Plants – Used to control odors and bacterial growth in poultry plants, to sanitize feeding areas.
- Foods – Shelf life of fruits & vegetables can be increased if washed with sanitizing solution of calcium hypochlorite prior to packaging to prevent contamination & spoilage.
- Molds – Kills & Prevents the growth of mold & fungi.
APPLICATION IN SWIMMING POOLS
- Adjust pH between 7.2 and 7.6 prior to using this product.
- Initial chlorination – Add 10 ounces per 10,000 gallons of water until a chlorine residual of 1.0 ppm is obtained as determined by the use of a suitable test kit.
- Superchlorination – Superchlorinate by broadcasting in the deep end of the pool at the rate of 10 ounces per 10,000 gallons. Super chlorinate every 14 days when the water temperature is below 80ºF and every 7 days when the temperature is higher.
- Algae Control – Should algae develop, broadcast at the rate of 20 ounces per 10,000 gallons of pool water. Immediately scrub the affected area, vacuum, and cycle through the filter. Repeat dosage if algae growth is persistent.
- Winterizing – Gradually apply 6 oz. per 10,000 gallons; run the filter until dispersion is complete. Cover the pool.